2018 WALKER BROADCAST MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE
The Walker Broadcast Management Institute is now in its 21st year, having completed its sixth, 3-year management education cycle in 2015. The 2018 Institute marks the third year of another 3-year cycle and is designed for broadcast managers and those seeking or being prepared for broadcast management positions.
April 17, 2018
Marketing and The Future
- How has broadcast marketing changed? Is this the “new normal?”
- Does “brand” still matter?
- What are possible futures of the broadcast industry?
- What is the real competition to broadcast?
Presented by Linda Gorchels, knowledge connector. For over 20 years Linda has taken experiences from hundreds of business clients, connected them with researched “best practices,” and shared the insights with managers and executives. At the UW-Madison’s Center for Professional and Executive Development, she was both a corporate trainer and a director of the marketing curriculum. Now, as a director emerita, she provides workshops for select clients. She is a blogger, author and “creativity curator” for her own company, Tomorrow’s Mysteries, LLC.
Dinner with group – place to be announced
April 18, 2018
Developing People Around You
- Build on existing coaching and communication skills to confidently coach in the following situations, individual performance improvement, peer to peer coaching, and team coaching.
- Learn and practice 5 critical coaching competencies every leader (and leaders- in- training) must master
- Understand the role of motivation in coaching
- Improve the quality and delivery of feedback to others
- Understand the challenges and opportunities when coaching across generations
Presented by Betsy Hagan, is an independent consultant specializing in organizational effectiveness and talent development. Her background includes 15 years of senior leadership experience in corporate Human Resources and Program Management.
She has advised companies on a variety of business improvements in the areas of strategic planning, restructuring, talent development, and cost management.
(evening – dinner Fluno Center)
Spencer X Smith – “How To Become A Social Media Rock Star”
April 19, 2018
- Explore creativity – What is it? What encourages it? What limits it?
- Are you an adaptor or an innovator? Why do effective organizations need both?
- Complete a self-assessment of your multiple intelligences, each of which can be a creative asset or an opportunity for development
- Apply your multiple intelligences in the creation of a new broadcasting station
Presented by Robert Shaver, has delivered training in coaching, conflict resolution, creativity, futures, instructional skills, leadership, management of change, motivation, performance management, presentation skills, problem solving/decision making and survey design and been a part of this program for more than 20 years.
We would like to extend our deepest appreciation to the estate of William R. Walker which graciously donated funds to endow the WBA Foundation Management Institute. The gift is the largest single contribution ever received by the Foundation.